12 Tags of 2016 – March

imag2359.jpgI have just completed my March version of the tag technique remix hosted by Tim Holtz. I have to say one of the techniques was a bit peculiar in that it was working with ripped corrugated cardboard.   The other was cutting the background with a die and putting something else behind it.    Having said this one would think that it would have been hard to work with or come up with an idea, but for me I knew immediately what I wanted to use as my focal point

imag2273.jpg
My blue jay feathers..sort of

I borrowed from a friend the Sizzix Feather Duo.   It is a steel rule die with a matching texture fade.   It just seemed the perfect choice to me for this funky corrugated cardboard technique.     I cut a total of four feathers, two of each of the designs.   I then got busy on trying to find the right mix of colors to work on these feathers.   I was thinking blue jay the whole time I was working on these.   I was using paint, stain and some spray with mica in it hoping to get something that worked for me.   I have to say this was fun and things turned out better than I had imagined possible.

 

I had to come up with a die that I could use on the background that would support the whole feather idea and incorporate the second required technique.    I ended up using one of the Sizzix mixed media dies I had on hand.  It was a diamond/harlequin type design.    It allowed the page from a book I had inked up to show through and did not detract from the feather.   If you squint your eyes and have a good imagination it actually,  sort of, in a way supported the shape of the feather.

Now I was going to bring in other elements to create balance, interest and tie the whole thing together. I was hoping to incorporate a stamp from Dina Wakley, mini scribbly birds, into the project.  I had that design all straight and finished in my mind.    Unfortunately they did not arrive at my local shop in time to make the cut for this design.   Oh well.   On to other ideas.

Some of what did end up in the final tag included:

  •  I used the texture impression pad on the tag to add some secondary feather images to support my cardboard feather.
  • I put some Scor-Tape on the back of some black paper and cut out Here & Now  using dies as my message and to make stickers  I find that for words that this works better than Xyron.
  • imag2362.jpg
    My blue jay feathers..sort of
  • I also did some  distressing of the background tag.   I paid particular attention to the embossed feathers to give them some blue to set them off.
  • I did some stamping of script.
  • Once I was referencing time with her and now I knew I needed a clock so I heat  embossed one.   In looking back at January I see I used it then as well.   Oh must be a new favorite. imag2363.jpg
  • It was getting a little dark and I felt I needed some luminescent feature so I added some tinsel twine.
  • Lastly I decided to add some buttons, using a technique from Online Card Class Chemistry 102, Altered Surface Technique.   It worked really nicely with the shine bright blue buttons making them work better with my total design.   Without them the bottom just sort of fell off because it was so single dimensional and flat. imag2361.jpg

Three months down, nine more to go.   Wonder what next month will bring.

 

 

Advertisements

2 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s